Emergency Authorisation Application for 2022
On behalf of the Bracken Control Group, the application to permit the use of Asulam for bracken control for the 2022 season was submitted to the Chemicals Registration Division of HSE, on 31 October 2021.
The research programme is continuing to develop the evidence base to support the need for bracken control by all means, including chemical control with Asulam and/or other active ingredients. Of particular note is the report from the Drift Trials, which supports the need for a review proposed in the first key issue below (Annex C).
In addition to the three key issues submitted for the 2021 application (1-3 below), two additional issues were included for consideration (more detail in Annex D):
- Review of the 90m buffer zone introduced in 2020.
- Consideration of management options to address the one-month exclusion period for livestock.
- Maintenance of ground-based control options.
- Longer duration for an Emergency Authorisation approval.
- Possible adoption of an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach to choosing the best control option.
Emergency Authorisation 2022 Application Documents
The application documents are listed here and the main ones of interest with hyperlinks can be downloaded.
- Covering Letter, including:
- Annex C - Research Programme
- Annex D - Key Issues
- Annex E - Conservation Perspective
- Annex F - Five Tests of a Valid Application
- Annex G - Data Requirements Summary
- Annex H - Areas Treated with Asulam
- Appendix 1 - Application Records Charts
- Appendix 2 - Application Record Form
- Enclosure 1 - Update - Health and Conservation
- Enclosure 2 - UPL Europe Ltd Registration Position Paper
- Enclosure 3 - Form CRD9
- Enclosure 4 - Letter of Access
The other documents are available by request.